HAVING PASSION WHEN SPEAKING IN FRONT OF OTHERS
One of the 11 Keys to become a Master presenter.
I feel this is the most important key to speaking in front of a group of people because without passion what ever you say will lack oomph , will have little emotion (like excitement) and be flat with no energy and therefore cannot land well.
Imagine listening to someone who is just going through the motions departing their information, (however knowledgeable and skill full they may be) in a matter of fact manner – how inspired would you be to pay attention and would you eventually loose interest in the topic?
THE DOWNSIDE - For Your Listeners
* Your listeners may become bored out of their mind.
* They will probably allow their thoughts to wander off or like me they will start doodling on the side of the page in their note book.
* They may start gazing out of the window and get totally distracted, or get busy on their cell phones
* They then will not be able to answer questions or participate as they have no idea what is going on in the room – leaving you and them feeling awkward – or not! because they no longer care.
* They will more than likely not remember much of what you said and miss out on some valuable information.
* They may even think if was a big waste of their time and money! - if they had paid to attend the event.
THE DOWNSIDE - For You
* Speaking becomes a drain - all struggle and effort
* There will be little energy and active attention from your audience so you feel your are speaking into a vacuum
* Your presentation may just turn into you trying to get the facts right
* You trying to remember to emphasise the important parts and leave nothing out - basically just get it right!
* You will feel under pressure and stressed and I am sure you will not enjoy the experience at all.
* People will most likely not show up for future events where you are speaking.
WHAT PASSION LOOKS LIKE
* Someone who is passionate about their topic and loves what they do
* Someone who loves you and wants to inspire you to love what they are speaking about too
* Their energy will be uplifting
* They will be animated and alive.
* They will be authentic – you will hear the emotion in their voice
* They will be original and refreshing
* They will understand and know their subject so well that they will speak from their heart and have no need to refer to notes
* They will be interested in you and will make sure you get it.
* There will be a connection between you and the speaker.
* An invisible dance will take place as they effortlessly answer your questions and engage with you.
THE UPSIDE - For Your Listeners
* Their experience of you will be one of pure enjoyment
* They will actively listen to every word you say as they will be curious as to why the subject lights you up the way it does
* They will be inspired
* They will participate fully
* They will engage with you and give you their full attention
* They will learn and gain so much, so will leave feeling fully satisfied
* They will be surprised how time just flew by
* They may be disappointed its all over as they want more
* They will remember you for how terrific your presentation was and the way you made them feel
* They will want what you have
THE UPSIDE - For You
* You will have your audience’s full attention, co -operation and participation
* They will actively ask and answer questions – making it really easy to share your information without having to remember what comes next
* From their input your talk will evolve - they may ask you things that you did not even think of!
* There will be an energy in the room that you can feed off
* You will be sharing quite effortlessly the very thing you are passionate about!
* Time will just fly by for you
* You will really enjoy yourself
So for me, if you are not passionate about what you will be speaking about, rather let someone else do it and if there is no way out – find a way to get passionate about your subject.
* Without Passion you may loose your audience to boredom and lack of interested
* This more likely than not will drain you and put you under unnecessary stress and pressure
* There will be little participation from your audience and it will feel like hard work for you
* No one will enjoy the experience
* Time will drag
* You will be remembered for all the wrong reasons (Yikes)
* There will be a lost opportunity for you to get your message out and for your audience to learn from you
NO Passion = A drag for them and you.